Saturday, August 4, 2012

Godzilla: Monster of Monsters

1989, Age 7

When I was a little girl, I was a big Godzilla fan (as evidenced here).  I remember being very excited about picking up this game at our weekly Friday night rental store visit - I couldn't wait to BE Godzilla and stomp around and fight other monsters and such!

Unfortunately, playing as Godzilla was super hard compared to playing as Mothra.  Mothra could just fly around anywhere and shoot projectiles.  As Godzilla it was impossible to dodge anything, as he was so big and took up a lot of vertical space.  Fighting other monsters also left a lot to be desired.  I eventually reached a point where I HAD to play as Mothra if I wanted to advance in the game because of her superior mechanics, but I didn't WANT to be dumb ole Mothra.  I wanted to be Godzilla!

This was my first experience with a game where I felt forced to choose gameplay advantage over fantasy fulfillment, and it just broke any sense of immersion.  It made me sad.  Godzilla, I hope I am able to learn from you and not do the same to my players if I can help it.

No comments:

Post a Comment