Friday, February 12, 2010

Mappyland


1989, Age 7

Mappyland was one of those games that I would frequently get on our usual Friday night trips to the rental store. It first captivated me because it was about a mouse and some cats, and I liked animals.

The thing that drew me back again and again was the music. It was addictive. It would get in my head, and I couldn't quite remember how one song or another went, and I'd have to go rent it again to be satiated.

I remember being delighted over how the cats were themed to each level (the tropical level with the huts, pictured above, was my favorite. I was so surprised and delighted when you got to go inside the hut! I would often draw pictures of this land). I was also totally in love with the happy little dance the kittens would do around the catnip lures you placed for them. Such a joyful 8 bit animation!

Gameplay wise, it was bizarre that you were safe from the cats if you were both on the trampoline, and it created very high stress situations of timing when to sneak off or onto them.

No comments:

Post a Comment