Friday, September 14, 2012

Tagin Dragon

1990, Age 8

I have always loved dragons, and when I was a little girl, games where you played as the dragon were few and far between.  Thus when I saw this game at the rental store, I was very excited about.

This was also the first game that so disturbed me with its depiction of violence that I was turned away from the rest of the game.  The premise is simple: you play a dragon crawling around a maze with other dragons, and you have to bite them on the tail.  When you bite them twice, they die, and turn into a dragon skeleton before disappearing (as I have attempted to capture in the image).

Something about going for the step of showing the dead dragon's skeleton was too much for 8-year-old me, and I found its depiction unsettling.  This was amidst plenty of games with more direct forms of killing, and later games with guns and blood that don't move me at all.  It's certain subtle details that push things across the line for me, and this game was my first experience with that idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment